The purpose of the language localization is to allow you to define different languages in your store. Smith Cart provides the ability to present all text on the user facing screens in multiple languages, to increase international sales. The cart admin can choose which of the installed languages to display the content in.
Smith Cart leverages the built in Dot Net and DNN localization techniques to localize static content (labels and buttons) and database driven content in your store.
By default Smith Cart displays all content in English. For a full description of how to enable different languages or install language packs in your DNN portal please refer to the DotNetNuke® User Guide.
How to Localize Your Store
The following steps outline how to install Smith Cart language packs to localize the cart in your desired language:
- Make sure you have Smith Cart installed
- Login to your portal as Administrator and navigate to the DNN Admin menu – Languages option.
- Select the language you would like to use in your store from the drop down list. If the language for your specific locale is not listed in the dropdown list you will need to login as "Host" and add your desired language pack from DNN Host - Languages menu option. Once you have installed additional language packs within your portal those languages will be available from the dropdown list.
- Download the appropriate Smith Cart language pack here , unzip and copy the resx files to the following folders.
- Smith.BuyNow module - \desktopmodules\Smith.BuyNow\App_LocalResources
- Smith.ProductDetail module - \desktopmodules\Smith.ProductDetail\App_LocalResources
- Smith.MiniCart module - \desktopmodules\Smith.MiniCart\App_LocalResources
- Smith.Categories module - \desktopmodules\Smith.Categories\App_LocalResources
- Smith.FeaturedProducts module - \desktopmodules\Smith.FeaturedProducts\App_LocalResources
- Smith.MyAccounts module - \desktopmodules\Smith.MyAccounts\App_LocalResources
Note: If a Smith Cart language pack is not available on the cart downloads page for your language please Email Us and we will create one and make it available on the SC site. You can also translate the resx files to your language using the Google language translator or using your favorite editor open the resx files listed in the folders above and translate into your desired language and “save as” when complete. Translated text should only be added to the “Value” column of the resource file. Make sure that you do not over write the existing resx files and “save as” a different file name. When saving your resx files make sure you use the naming conventions described in section below titled “Resource File (Resx) Naming Conventions”.
Resource File (Resx) Naming Conventions
After you have translated the label values in the resx files you will need to save the files in the proper naming convention in order for the language localization to work correctly.
For example, if you have translated the Step1.ascx.resx resource file in the \desktopmodules\Smith.BuyNow\App_LocalResources folder you will need to save it according to the following file naming convention that applies to your locale/language.
Step1.aspx.resx - This is the default local resource file (the fallback resource file) if no language match is found.
Step1.aspx.es.resx - This is the resource file for Spanish.
Step1.aspx.es-mx.resx - This is the resource file for Spanish (Mexico) specifically
Step1.aspx.fr-fr.resx - This is the resource file for French.
Step1.aspx. de-de.resx - This is the resource file for German.
The base name of the file matches the page file name, followed by a language and culture name, and ending with the extension .resx. For a complete list of culture names, see the following link
You are welcome to contribute your translated resx files back to the Smith Cart community and they will be included in the next build of the cart so you can take advantage of future upgrades. You can email a zip file of your translated resx files to our Support Department.
[up to contents]
Localizing Product Data
The steps above localize the static text on store pages. To localize the dynamic database driven store product data stored in the database, navigate to the store admin menu and click on the following button:
The following screen will be displayed:
Tab and Description 3-5 are also included as fields on the localization management screen above but are not shown for space consideration.
[up to contents]
Localizing Category Data
Smith Cart will display database content (products, categories, etc.) in the default language your hosting environment (windows and sql server) is configured for
If you are running a single language store, and wish to display database content (products, categories, etc.) in a language other than English then you will need to localize your server/sql server database for your language/locale.
To run a multiple language store please do the following:
- First, follow the steps outlined in sections above.
- Use a DNN html module to create a list of links for your categories and then pass the category in the querystring.
The product listing page of the cart allows you to filter products by category by passing the category id in the querystring
When the category id is passed in the querystring the products are automatically filtered by category
The built in DNN html module will allow you to add category images or just links and create hyperlinks that link to the page with your buynow module on it and pass the categoryid in the querystring to filter the products by category.
[up to contents]