All businesses differ a little in their shipping process but here is a good example of one we have setup using SmithCart.
Step 1 – Approve orders for shipping (Open -> Ready To Ship)
From the store admin menu select Orders as follows:
The manage order listing page will be display. Select the order that is ready to ship and you will be directed to the manage order detail page. At the bottom of the page select the payment tab and then edit the payment to view the transaction details:
Verify the user has completed payment successfully:
- Balance = 0
- Authorization code exists and is not blank or 0
- Transaction ID exist and is not blank or 0
- Payment Status = Approved or True
- Verify the payment has authorized and settled at payment gateway and money deposited to your bank account.
After payment has been verified, approve the order for by changing the status from “Open” to “Ready To Ship”
Click "Save" to save the new order status. Repeat this step for all orders that you want to ship.
Step 2 – Print Pick List
This step should be completed by the warehouse or the department responsible for shipping products. Go to the Ship Orders screen and filter orders for Order Status = Ready To Ship
Select the orders that are ready to ship and click the "Print Pick List" button. Please note before you can print the pick list you need to add a pick list template from the invoice templates page.
The warehouse worker picks up all the pick lists off the printer, picks product and packs boxes.
Step 3 – Export Orders (Ready To Ship -> Shipped)
Navigate to the Export Orders page as follows:
Click the Export tab.
Save the CSV file to the Warehouse Network share. The output file naming convention is as follows:
For example: Orders_01022014.csv
The export for file should only be created once per day. The file will be created with a unique name with a date stamp.
Step 4 – Import Orders to Postage System
Now that you have your orders exported from DNN to a CSV file, the next step is to import the CSV to the program you use to print postage (Stamps.com. Endicia, etc.). The steps to import the CSV to your postage program will vary depending on the program you use to print postage and shipping labels. The following steps outline the process to import and print postage and labels using Endicia Pro.
- Launch the Endicia Pro software
- Click the “Batch Print” tab
- Click “Retrieve Orders” button to retrieve all orders that need to be shipped
After you click Retrieve Orders you should see all customer orders that need to be shipped.
Step 5 – Print Postage
1. In Endicia, click the Order Lookup tab and you should see the following screen:
2. Enter the Order # and click the “Retrieve Order” button to retrieve the order
3. Confirm the address information (Verify Address)
4. Enter mail class, package type and postage amount
5. Click “Print Label” to print the shipping label. Each time the print label button is clicked a record is added to the export csv file titled “TrackingNumbers.csv” located on the network share.
Step 6 – Import Tracking Numbers to SmithCart
From the SmithCart store admin menu, navigate to the import data page as follows: