The PayPal Adaptive Payments API enables you to send money in many different scenarios, from simple to complex. For example, you might build a small send money application for a social networking site or a robust payroll system.
The store owner (merchant) must have a PayPal Business account. Senders and receivers can have any PayPal account type. Senders and receivers are not required to have PayPal accounts initially. PayPal prompts a sender to create an account before a payment can be completed. A receiver must create an account to receive the funds after the payment completes.
Please see the following link for more information on PayPal Adaptive Payments:
PayPal Adaptive Credentials
Before configuring Smith Cart for PayPal Adaptive, you must first obtain your PayPal credentials from PayPal. You can find your PayPal API credentials on the PayPal website by clicking the API Credentials link in the left menu within PayPal, as shown in the following figure.
- PAYPAL_USERID: The provided PayPal API username.
- PAYPAL_PASSWORD: The provided PayPal API password.
- PAYPAL_SIGNATURE: The provided PayPal API signature.
- PAYPAL_APPLICATION_ID: Your PayPal application ID; use APP-80W284485P519543T when using the sandbox.
- PAYPAL_EMAIL: Your PayPal email address; use your created seller account on the sandbox.
To retrieve these values on a live account, you must first request the API credentials from PayPal. After logging in to your PayPal account follow these steps:
- Click “Profile”
- Next, click “API Access”
- Finally, select “Request API Signature”
Your credentials will then be displayed. To obtain a live application ID, you must submit your request for a live application id to PayPal for review.
Configuring Smith Cart for PayPal Adaptive
To configure Smith Cart to work with the PayPal Adaptive Payment Gateway navigate to the Smith Cart store admin menu and click on the “Payment Setup” button” as follows:
Next, click on the “Payment Gateways” button on the top menu bar and you will see the following screen displayed:
Enter your PayPal credentials as follows:
- User Name (PAYPAL_USERID): The provided PayPal API username.
- Password (PAYPAL_PASSWORD): The provided PayPal API password.
- Signature (PAYPAL_SIGNATURE): The provided PayPal API signature.
- ApplicationID (PAYPAL_APPLICATION_ID): Your PayPal application ID; use APP-80W284485P519543T when using the sandbox.
- PayPal Email: Your PayPal email address; use your PayPal seller account email address you created on the PayPal website
Test Mode – Check the “Test Mode” checkbox if you are using a PayPal sandbox account. If you are using a live PayPal account do not check the “Test Mode” checkbox.
SmithCart automatically sets up the PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN) when it calls the PayPal Adaptive payment gateway so there is no additional configuration need to setup PayPal IPN.